Korea to Announce 5G+ Strategy Pledging to Provide World’s Best 5G Service Based on World’s First 5G Commercialization (April 8)
- 5G era for the public with new industries promoted, jobs created and improved quality of life
□ The Korean government celebrated world’s first 5G commercialization in Olympic Park on April 8 2019 and shared the national vision for realizing an innovative growth in the 5G era.
□ On that day, the Korean government announced the ‘5G+ Strategy’ as a way to create new industries and services based on 5G and pledged to establish the world’s best 5G ecosystem moving on from being world’s first.
ㅇ In particular, the Korean government proposed the goal to reach 180 trillion won in productivity, 73 billion dollars in export and create 600,000 quality jobs by 2026, through promoting 5G+strategic industries (major 10 industries and 5 services).
□ As an effort to nurture 5G-based new industries and markets and improve the quality of people’s lives, 52 specific tasks under the following major five strategic areas will be implemented.
ㅇ ➊ take initiative in investing in public sector ➋ expand private sector investment ➌ system maintenance ➍ establish industrial foundation ➎ support for going global
ㅇ ① guarantee safety for the public such as providing medical treatment within the golden hour in case of fire and emergency as well as monitoring old public infrastructure ② innovate public service including remote healthcare with real-time collaboration between hospitals ③ take initiative in adopting 5G in creating smart city
ㅇ establish the safest 5G user environment through measures including strengthening cyber security capabilities and telecom network stability
ㅇ invest over 30 trillion won in public private partnership for creating the world’s best 5G ecosystem which would involve early deployment of nationwide 5G network by 2022
1. overview of the event
□ 10 relevant ministries including the Ministry of Science and ICT hosted ‘KOREAN 5G Tech-Concert’ at K-Art Hall of Olympic Park on April 8(Mon) to celebrate world’s first smartphone-based 5G commercialization(April 3) and announced ‘5G+ Strategy for Innovative Growth’.
< KOREAN 5G Tech-Concert overview >
□ date/venue: April 8, 2019(Mon), 10:00 ∼ 10:50 (’50) / K-Art Hall of Olympic Park
□ participants: total 300 attendees
ㅇ (government) Ministers from relevant ministries of 5G+ Strategy including Ministers of MSIT, MOEF and MOTIE
ㅇ (private sector) three telecom operators, manufacturers, SMEs and ventures, representatives from each industry, citizens, students etc.
□ major programs
ㅇ announced 5G+ Strategy (Minister of MSIT)
ㅇ 5G showcase service experience and performance etc.
* 5G-based realistic accompanied performance and hologram performance, 5G-based AR concert etc.
□ The event was held as an effort to celebrate Korea’s leading role in ushering in the 5G era and commemorate its significance. It was also the venue to accelerate innovate growth of the Korean economy by taking opportunity of the world’s first 5G commercialization in Korea and show the strong will of the public and private sector in enhancing Korea’s global leadership in 5G.
ㅇ In the event, around 300 people attended including dignitaries from the government, representatives of telecom operators and manufacturers, SMEs and ventures, people from industry-academia-research institute, citizens and students.
ㅇ Minister You Young Min of Science and ICT introduced 5G+ Strategy and major 5G services were showcased including 5G-based realistic accompanied performance, hologram performance, AR concert so that services to be emerged in the 5G era can be experienced beforehand.
2. significance of 5G+ Strategy and future direction
□ 5G is core infrastructure of the Fourth Industrial Revolution which transmits massive amount of data very fast (super-fast) and connects everything (hyper-connectivity) real-time (ultra-low latency).
ㅇ 5G will go beyond simple evolution of the existing mobile communication to enable creation of innovative convergence services* and new industries such as cutting-edge terminals and devices.
* (super-fast) transmit large volume of contents at the maximum speed of 20Gbps → VR live broadcast, hologram phone call etc.
(ultra-low latency) simultaneous reaction in sense of touch (1ms) → fully autonomous driving, real time robot and drone control etc.
(hyper-connectivity) connect a lot of sensors and devices → smart factory, smart city etc.
ㅇ In addition, 5G will drive innovative transformation in overall public sector and society and is expected to greatly contribute to improving people’s quality of life* and advancing national infrastructure**.
* (increase quality of medical service) real time sharing of high-definition video clip of patients between ambulances and medical specialists as well as general hospitals and clinics, (immersive education) realistic and immersive remote education, (public safety) real time detection and response to disasters such as cases of fire and collapse
** real time safety management and efficient operation of SOC, create safe and smart transport and logistics environment where vehicles, roads and pedestrians are connected etc.
□ As 5G converges with various industries, new market worth 1,161 trillion won in total* is expected to be created in major front and back industries of 5G in 2026.
* the figure was predicted through measures including taking a look at overseas market prospects, analyzing ICT institutes and expert Delphi survey (KISDI, January 2019)
ㅇ Major countries paid attention to such potential of 5G and expedited the process of 5G commercialization and have been in fierce competition to take leadership in the global stage and gain upper hand in the 5G ecosystem.
□ This has led the Korean government to establish pan-government 5G+ Strategy as to create new first mover industries and services through 5G-based intelligent innovation in overall economy and society.
ㅇ In particular, 5G+ strategic industries will be selected and 5G-based new industries will be nurtured by focusing investment primarily on 10 major core industries and 5 services.
ㅇ In addition, with public private partnership, a virtuous cycle of ‘early establishment of infrastructure’, ‘adoption and spread of new services and devices’ and ‘market facilitation’ will be created and efforts will be made in building a safe 5G user environment.
3. 5G+ Strategy goals and main contents
□ The Korean government laid out the vision to implement 5G+ Strategy to reach 180 trillion won in productivity, 73 billion dollars in export and create 600,000 quality jobs by 2026 in 5G+strategic areas and will carry out 52 specific tasks under 5 major strategic areas to this end.
□ 5 major strategies
➊ secure early market and improve people’s quality of life through taking initiative in investing in public sector
➋ create testbed for expanding investment in private sector and develop industries
➌ support 5G service facilitation and user protection through system maintenance
➍ nurture globally recognized innovative enterprises and talents through establishment of industrial foundation
➎ globalize Korea’s 5G technologies and services through providing support to overseas expansion
The main contents are as follows.
1. take initiative in investing in public sector
(1) demonstration and spread of 5G+ core services*
* ① immersive content ② smart factory ③ autonomous vehicle ④ smart city ⑤ digital healthcare
ㅇ provide support in identifying and demonstrating profit models in 5 core areas in the private sector (2018~2021) ⇨ carry out 5G+ innovation project for deployment and spread of services (2021~2025)
< example of demonstration and spread of 5 major 5G+ core services >
real time hologram performance
for remote areas
solution development for each industry and spread of industrial complex
develop and distribute 5G self-driving shuttle buses
emergency rescue service in fire sites
emergency medical service between ambulances and hospitals
2) support demand creation in public sector
ㅇ (SOC) support safe and efficient management of infrastructure and deteriorated facility
- (infrastructure) carry out ‘5G+ smart SOC project’(2020~) for establishing real time monitoring system (utilization of 5G robots and CCTVs etc.) on road, port and airport etc.
- (life support facility) support real time 5G-based safety monitoring in educational and cultural facility (2020~)
- (deteriorated nuclear power plant) develop and adopt safe, 5G-based nuclear power plant decommissioning technologies such as real time monitoring of high risk work sites and identifying biometrics of workers (2020~2023)
ㅇ (utilize cutting-edge device) create 5G device market based on public demand
- (robot) carry out 5G public service robot (guide robot on public facility etc.) pilot project (2020~)
- (drone) support R&D and demonstration of 5G drone service such as public safety, environment and measurement (2020~) and develop 5G drones for mail delivery (2019~2021) and connect this to public procurement
- (CCTV) implement 5G intelligent CCTV R&D and demonstration as well as disaster safety pilot service (2021~)
(3) improve people’s quality of life through 5G public service deployment
ㅇ (5G+ life sustaining project) distribute 5G solutions* based on public demand for improving people’s livelihood in areas such as education, agriculture and environment and resolving regional social issues (2021~)
* e.g. (immersive education) provide 5G-based, VR and AR remote education and training for local and vocational schools, (smart agriculture) deploy 5G unmanned tractors and drones, (environmental monitoring) 5G-based, real time fine dust monitoring etc.
ㅇ (improve medical service) implement ‘5G-based collaborative telemedicine pilot project’ for hospitals and clinics (2020~) → increase the portion of the medical facility with scale similar to or larger than that of general hospital to 50% by 2023
(4) create 5G-based smart city
ㅇ (national pilot city) establish data and AI center in pilot city for building data-based intelligent urban operating system in connection with 5G (2020~2022)
ㅇ (existing city) support expansion of 5G-based smart city technologies by active deployment of 5G to projects in turning existing cities into smart cities such as smart city challenge (2019~)
2. expand private investment
(1) tax credit and investment
ㅇ provide tax credits to network investment (2~3% for 2019-2020) for inducing early deployment of nationwide 5G network and invest in innovation companies by engaging in financial programs driving new growth*
* program supporting advancement in industrial structure (10 trillion won for 2019-2021), KP Inno fund (1.2 trillion won for 2019∼2022), smart factory fund (300 billion won for 2019∼2021) etc.
(2) establish 5G testbeds and demonstration infrastructure
ㅇ (establish testbeds) establish 13 5G testbeds and demonstration infrastructure in five areas including various 5G terminals and equipments, 5G Vehicular-to-Everything*(V2X) communications, 5G drones** and edge computing
* provide support in verification of 5G autonomous driving performance on real roads in K-City(Hwaseong), Pangyo zero city and Sangam of Seoul (2019∼)
** establish 5G test infrastructure in 5 drone flying test sites which are in the process of construction (Yeongwol, Gosang, Boeun etc.) (2020∼2021)
- provide internationally accredited certificate service for supporting 5G terminal and V2X exports (2019~)
ㅇ (5G challenge) hold contests for demonstration and expansion of 5G autonomous vehicles and drones
ㅇ (establish clusters) establish ‘Songpa mobile cluster’ which has expanded the existing function of supporting radiowave and security industry to providing support to 5G equipment development and demonstration (2020~2025)
(3) promote 5G technology commercialization of SMEs
ㅇ (network equipment) increase support for R&D of technology commercialization in 5G equipment (small cell, repeater, modem etc.) of small and medium-sized enterprises (to take up 25%(2017) → 35%(2020) out of mobile communication R&D)
ㅇ (purchase conditional R&D) expand R&D support for commercialization of SMEs based on demand for purchasing 5G-based new technologies and products of public institutions and foreign countries
(4) support facilitation of 5G content market
ㅇ carry out ‘5G content flagship project*’ and secure infrastructure for development hub (2019~) for creating major 10 globally recognized 5G content by 2022
* e.g. (immersive media) 360° VR sports streaming, (immersive communication) hologram video conference, (immersive life) VR shopping, (industry convergence) control AR factory and farm, (public service) VR safety education
(5) support innovation of productivity in leading industries
ㅇ (smart factory) support gradual distribution* of 5G factory solutions optimized for innovating manufacturing and processing of small and medium sized enterprises to 1000 factories by 2022 (2020~2022)
* target for establishment: 200 (2020) → 300 (2021) → 500 (2022)
ㅇ (shipbuilding) secure core technologies of ‘smart yard’ (2021~) providing support to demonstration of 5G-based smart telecom environment establishment in shipyard (2020~2023) and technologies which automate and optimize processing
ㅇ (maritime port) establish smart maritime port logistics system which is automatic and intelligent based on 5G (pilot project: 4 ports including Busan Port and Gwangyang Port) (2019~)
ㅇ (energy) set up an optimal energy generation system through real time 5G and big data processing in order to respond to expansion of renewable energy (solar energy etc.) generation complex (2020~2023)
ㅇ (manufacturing AR) provide pilot AR service (AR manual, AR remote support etc.) in the field of manufacturing to small and medium sized enterprises in relation to 5G smart factory distribution (2020~)
3. System maintenance
(1) telecom service plan and system maintenance
ㅇ (launch 5G service plan) induce the launch of service plan* which does not rapidly increase household burden on telecom fee, so that citizens can use various 5G services (April 2019~)
* continue to reduce rate for data per unit compared to LTE from the first 5G service plan
ㅇ (support B2B facilitation) improve service plan to be flexible enough to reflect various 5G services such as autonomous vehicles and smart factories (2019~)
(2) secure radiowave resources and improve regulations
ㅇ (allocate frequency) double frequency for 5G service by 2026 (2,680㎒ bandwidth as of now → 5,190㎒ bandwidth) and allocate frequency for 5G convergence service (autonomous vehicle and smart factory etc.) (2019~)
ㅇ (improve regulations) support ease of administrative burden through measures including introduction of ‘frequency license system’ (revise radiowave act, 2019~) which integrates and simplifies the process of frequency allocation and radio station establishment
(3) create the safest user environment
ㅇ (cyber safety) establish preventive system for cyber security breaches such as designating 5G core facilities to be critical IT infrastructure and coming up with ICT convergence security system* (revise the act on information communications network, 2019~)
* legal grounds in relation to IoT device and service security, recommendations for convergence service security standard etc.
ㅇ (reinforce stability of communication networks) establish communication disaster prevention and response system such as expanding subjects to government inspection to all of major communication facilities (80→870) and securing detour route for signal transmission between facilities etc.
(4) regulatory innovation for 5G convergence service
ㅇ identify items for regulatory improvement in connection to regulatory sandbox and pilot project and ease regulations for location based information project (grant system → registration system, revise location information act)
(5) bridge digital divide and protect users
ㅇ (bridge digital divide) reinforce accessibility to new terminals and services for the vulnerable class (the disabled and elderly) and expand education for utilizing intelligent information service focused on real life experiences (VR, AR etc.)
ㅇ (principles of protecting users) set principles to prevent new kinds of damages done to users and strengthen their rights amid expansion of 5G convergence service and intelligent information technologies (2019~)
4. establish industrial foundation
(1) secure global leading technologies
ㅇ (next generation devices) enhance R&D investment on hyper-realistic and lightweight VR and AR devices, 5G and AI-based wearables (wearable action-assist suit etc.) and cloud robotics technologies etc. (2020~)
ㅇ (future-leading R&D) develop fundamental technologies for ‘hologram contents’ as an effort to dominate future market preemptively in the era after ‘next-generation network’, VR and AR
(2) strengthen competitiveness of information security industry
ㅇ develop and demonstrate security models (smart factory, smart city etc.) which demonstrate security technology on 5G network, increase R&D of future core technologies and respond to diffusion of convergence services (2020~)
(3) establish foundation for 5G+ Korean Wave boom
ㅇ produce and distribute VR and AR cultural contents (music, game, web cartoon etc.), spread Korean Wave contents such as creation of realistic experience zones of cultural heritage (four national museums) and VR theaters displaying historical and cultural contents (2019~)
(4) support 5G startup ecosystem and nurture talents
ㅇ (startup) support 5G tech startup R&D and funding for commercialization (voucher) (2019~), create a 5G-based startup ecosystem including ‘5G realistic content lab’ (2019) and foster in-company ventures
ㅇ (nurture talents) establish a system to analyze supply and demand of workers in 5G+ strategic industries and nurture 5G convergence talents by measures such as adopting practical and advanced 5G courses (2019) within major ICT talent training programs
5. support for going global
(1) promote globalization of 5G service
ㅇ (jointly enter global market) formulate consortium consisting of large companies and SMEs in the field of 5G such as telecom operators, manufacturers, service and contents companies as a way to commercialize with a focus on target markets and support advancing into global exhibition venues together
ㅇ (localization) support promising companies to forge partnership with world’s leading 5G companies
(2) take lead in global 5G standardization
ㅇ reflect performances of our technologies and convergence service demonstration (autonomous driving, smart factory etc.) to international standard based on world’s first 5G commercialization experience including final submission of 5G candidate technologies
(3) support overseas expansion in relation to international cooperation
ㅇ identify joint projects (smart city etc.) in relation to New Southern policy and New Northern policy and carry out ‘sales diplomacy’ through high-level visits and international conferences
4. Implementation framework
□ The Korean government decided to establish and run the “5G+ Strategy Committee,” bringing together related ministries, the private sectors, and experts to push forward with the 5G+ Strategy across the nation.
ㅇ The Committee will have the Minister of Science and ICT and a private expert as co-chairs and will formulate a plan for ministries and cooperation projects between the public and private sector.
ㅇ Also, the MSIT will thoroughly check on the progress through the “5G+ Strategy Meeting” chaired by the 2nd Vice Minister and will actively pursue the 5G+ Strategy by appointing officials for each 5G+ Strategy projects and designating a project manager (PM).
□ Also, the Korean government announced that it will invest more than 30 trillion Korean won through the collaboration with the private sector in order to build the best 5G ecosystem in the world, such as early construction of the nationwide 5G network by 2022.
□ Minister of Science and ICT You Young-min said that “the 5G strategy can bear fruit when all ministries and both public and private sectors make concerted efforts.”
“As the global competition is getting fiercer, we will do our best to become the best in the 5G market by actively implementing the 5G+ strategy and bring tangible changes, not being complacent to win the title of rolling out the first 5G network in the world,” added Minister You.